Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why use my version of a black and white photo?

I LOVE black and white photos.

There is just something so simple and beautiful about them to me. SO I used to be guilty of taking lots of pictures and just making them black and white before I got them printed at whatever 1 hour service I was using.

I now know that there is a huge difference between "converting to black and white" and what is possible in the realm of creating beautiful black and white images in Photoshop.

I've often wondered if my clients think to themselves:
"why is she giving me black and white photos when I can just make them black and white at Walgreens if I want to?" (Nothing against Walgreens!!!)

Well here is a great example of a sweet little newborn I shot recently.


The first image is straight out of the camera (SOOC).....

the second I simply did what anyone would do if ordering their prints online and clicked the "convert to b&w" option....

In the final image I adjusted brightness, contrast, blacks, and even noise reduction, creating the final piece you see, and the piece that will be given to the client.

I hope that helps anyone in their decision to print the B&W's I send them!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment